Saturday, May 10, 2008

most super awesome

(Hopefully my blogs are in the correct order...)
This week held in store the much-dreaded mid-terms, a source of considerable anxiety and studying. The online chapter review questions were invaluable. Although I was thwarted at the beginning of the exam, upon learning that we couldn't employ print-outs for the test (oops!), just filling them out and reviewing helped so much, and I ended up only missing one question on the multiple choice part of the exam. In addition, I felt confident on the hands on section of the midterm, although my shortcut skills are wanting. This was, however, the first week I ever got behind in homework. Not having a hard copy of the assignments kind of thwarted me, and this is a problem. Reluctance to switch between screens is sort of like saying that I don't read because turning the pages is annoying.

I found an interesting bit of tech news, concerning Google street view and the French preference for privacy. Here's a link to the article. Parisians have a problem with their image being available to the world, as they hold highly the right to keep their image private. Lawsuits concerning Google street view have already arisen, and I believe for good reason. The feature is certainly neat, and yes, probably useful, but kind of superfluous and a little invasive...a little Big Brother. I've looked at it once, for San Francisco a few years back, for nostalgia's sake ("oh wow, I miss the Tenderloin"), but I wouldn't use it for anything else. Some frames had people in them, and it seemed a little sad...there they are, going about their day, caught picknicking by the Bay for the world to see, stuck in the ether of cyberspace forever.
I'm glad to hear that Google is having a hell of a time capturing the streets of Europe. Their ancient pathways and roads were not built on the handy grid system, it often makes no sense at all, in all it's serpentine and circuitousness. In addition, the architecture arising from those streets presents even more problems for the cameras. It seems as if the people and buildings alike do not wish to be captured.

No comments: